Monday, October 23, 2017

Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

As I mentioned recently, I ended up replacing my last frame with a Vassago Jabberwocky. I love this frame! Long top tube, reasonably short chainstays, burly steel construction, moderate geometry that is not "yeah brah, enduro!" slack but not dirt roadie XC. modern features like a fat seat tube, 44mm head tube to accommodate a tapered fork, and room for really fat tires.



This is kind of ironic because a bought an older version of the "small" size Jabber in spring of 2013 and sold it after a few short months. For some reason, I crashed on that bike more than I have ever crashed. I suspect it was my error in setting up the suspension fork, but I am happy with the way it played out. I now have a stout, steel, singlespeed XC bike with geometry that suits me, now that I have spent months agonizing over why my back hurts and every "medium" bike I have tried feels cramped.

I am definitely digging this bike. It feels much better under me than anything I have ridden. It could be lighter, that's my only real complaint. If I really wanted a lighter frame, I would probably have had to shell out 3 times as much cash on a titanium frame or get customer steel for even more than that. I can't justify that kind of spending, but I can dream.

In the meanwhile, the weight disappears under you when you're on a bike that fits and handles as if it was made for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment